Delicious brown rice has earthy and nutty flavors yet mild enough to enhance any meat and vegetables. The Instant Pot or pressure cooker transforms the brown rice flawlessly for a quick and nutritious whole grain side dish.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- 1–1/4 cup water or broth (chicken, beef, vegetable)*
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped. optional
- 1 lime, zested, optional
- juice of 1 lime, optional
- Cook Onions. Set the pressure cooker to saute and pour the olive oil into the pot. Pour in the onions and salt and cook until soft.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Add the broth (or water) and cilantro (if using) and give the ingredients a swirl pushing down any grains stuck to the sides or top. Make sure no grains are in the lid channel.
- Close and lock the lid. Set the knob to pressure on the dial.
- Press the BROWN RICE function and press the start button.
- Cook Rice. The 20-minute countdown will begin after the pressure is reached.
- Allow the steam to escape naturally. When the timer goes off, allow steam to escape naturally. It takes about 5-10 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork and place it in a serving bowl. Squeeze lime juice into the bowl and top with lime zest.
*The calories and nutritional information includes chicken broth.
Cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice are optional. The recipe is great plain without them or can be used if they enhance the other dishes.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Rice
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Brown rice, gluten-free, cilantro lime rice, whole grain side dish