Charred poblano coleslaw with pepitas (pumpkin seeds) takes coleslaw to a new level. This coleslaw salad goes well with any Spanish, Latin, or Mexican dish. Your friends will ask for this recipe, but you will hate sharing the secret.
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped into 1/2” bites size pieces
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup avocado mayonnaise**
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon raw honey
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
14 oz. package coleslaw mix
1/4 cup red shredded cabbage, optional ***
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Char Poblano Pepper: stem and seed pepper cut into 1/2″ pieces. Wash hands and cutting board – some peppers can be hot, although every poblano pepper I purchased has been mild. Place a nonstick pan over medium heat and add oil. Add pepper pieces to the pan and occasionally stir until lightly charred, about 2- 3 minutes. Place the peppers in a serving bowl.
- Roast Pepitas: add pepitas to the same nonstick pan and toast for 2 – 3 minutes or until several seeds have popped and the green color begins to brown. Place on a plate or wax paper to cool and lightly salt. Cool before adding to the slaw.
- Make Dressing: whisk together mayonnaise, lime juice, honey, onion powder, and smoked paprika in a bowl.
- Prepare Slaw: add shredded cabbage to the serving bowl with charred peppers. Pour mayonnaise dressing over slaw mix and stir to combine—season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish: Place pepitas on the top and sprinkle with more smoked paprika, if desired.
* If using toasted and salted pepitas, omit step 2.
** I use Primal Kitchen Avacado Mayonaisse, wich is Paleo. The salt and lime will soften the cabbage as it sits, and the dressing will spread a little further than you think. If you prefer more sauce but are trying to cut calories, try adding a few tablespoons of Greek yogurt.
*** Red cabbage adds color, and some prepared slaw mixes contain it in the bag. Look in the salad bar to purchase a small amount.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Mexican
Keywords: salad, slaw, poblano pepper, pepitas, poblano