Magic happens to a slaw recipe with smokey peppers and crunchy pumpkin seeds. Take coleslaw to a new level with Charred Poblano Coleslaw with Pepitas. This coleslaw salad goes well with any Spanish, Latin, or Mexican dish. Your friends will ask for this recipe, but you will hate sharing the secret.
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped into 1/2” bites size pieces
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)*
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup avocado mayonnaise**
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon raw honey
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
14 oz. package coleslaw mix
1/4 cup red shredded cabbage, optional ***
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Char Poblano Pepper: stem and seed pepper cut into 1/2″ pieces. Wash hands and cutting board – some peppers can be hot, although every poblano pepper I purchased has been mild. Place a nonstick pan over medium heat and add oil. Add pepper pieces to the pan and occasionally stir until lightly charred, about 2- 3 minutes. Place the peppers in a serving bowl.
- Roast Pepitas: add pepitas to the same nonstick pan and toast for 2 – 3 minutes or until several seeds have popped and the green color begins to brown. Place on a plate or wax paper to cool and lightly salt. Cool before adding to the slaw.
- Make Dressing: whisk together mayonnaise, lime juice, honey, onion powder, and smoked paprika in a bowl.
- Prepare Slaw: add shredded cabbage to the serving bowl with charred peppers. Pour mayonnaise dressing over slaw mix and stir to combine—season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish: Place pepitas on the top and sprinkle with more smoked paprika, if desired.
* If using toasted and salted pepitas, omit step 2.
** I use Primal Kitchen Avacado Mayonaisse, wich is Paleo. The salt and lime will soften the cabbage as it sits, and the dressing will spread a little further than you think. If you prefer more sauce but are trying to cut calories, try adding a few tablespoons of Greek yogurt.
*** Red cabbage adds color, and some prepared slaw mixes contain it in the bag. Look in the salad bar to purchase a small amount.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Mexican
Keywords: salad, slaw, poblano pepper, pepitas, poblano