This delicious layered cheesy polenta casserole is comfort food at its best! The perfect combination of smooth and creamy polenta with spicy Italian sausage. Be sure to make plenty because leftovers are great. Polenta is similar to cheesy grits, a classic American dish from the South.
Polenta* see note
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal or corn grits
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Sausage and Tomato
- 1 lb hot or sweet Italian sausage.
- 2 14–oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced or grated** see note
- Preheat the oven to 375º. Butter a 2.5-quart ovenproof casserole dish.
- Make Polenta – Combine the broth, butter, sugar, and salt in a heavy saucepan and heat to a simmer. – Slowly add the corn grits in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Lower the heat and continue stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and leaves the pan side, about 10 minutes. Add the Parmesan cheese and press the polenta mixture into the casserole dish.
- Make Sausage – Heat a medium-size skillet and sauté the sausage breaking up with the back of a spoon. Cook until brown, crumbly, and thoroughly cooked. Layer sausage over polenta with a slotted spoon
- Layer Tomato over the sausage, followed by seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Place under broiler for 2 minutes, if desired, to brown cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
*Fast track this recipe by using ready-made, shelf-stable polenta. It is available in the Italian Food section.
** fresh mozzarella may also be used – sliced 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Pork
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: comfort food