Bursting with flavors, Instant Pot Corned Beef Cabbage Stew deserves more frequency than a St. Patrick’s Day celebration. This recipe is updated with more veggies and a pressure cooker.
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket in brining solution (classic or flat cut) with seasoning packet
- Seasoning packet included in meat package*
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 pounds new red potatoes scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 celery stalks, rinsed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small cabbage cut into 8 wedges**
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ground horseradish***
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cook the Corned Beef – Add the broth and smashed garlic to the pressure cooker pan. Place the brisket fat side up into the pressure cooker pan. Open the seasoning packet and sprinkle it into the beef. Wedge the onions around the meat. Place the lid on the cooker and lock it. Close (seal) the pressure release valve and select the high-pressure cook function. Set the timer for 75 minutes or 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Prepare the Vegetables – while the meat is cooking, prepare and cut vegetables. See the ingredients above.
- Make the Sauce – combine sour cream, horseradish and lemon juice in a small bowl. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Remove the meat and strain the stock – When the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally for about 15 minutes. Release the pressure valve and allow the remaining steam to escape then carefully remove the lid allowing the steam to escape away from you. Remove the beef with tongs to a plate with some juice from the pressure cooker. Cover with foil and allow to rest. Pour stock from the cooker through a wire sieve with a bowl beneath to catch the liquid. Pour the strained stock into the pressure cooker pan. Discard the vegetables in the strainer.
- Cook Vegetables – Add salt and pepper to the stock and place the trivet into the pressure cooker over the stock. Place vegetables in the cooker in the following order: 1)potatoes, 2) celery and carrots, and 3)cabbage. This order places the longer cooking vegetables on the bottom to ensure even cooking. Place the lid on the cooker and lock it. Turn the dial to the pressure position. Set the cook function to high pressure and set the timer to 4 minutes. When the timer beeps, turn off the pressure cooker and quick-release the steam by opening the pressure valve. When the steam is completely gone, carefully remove the lid, allowing the steam to escape away from you. Take the vegetables out immediately with a slotted spoon and pour some of the juices over the vegetables in a serving dish. Garnish with freshly cut parsley.
- Slice the meat. Thinly slice the meat by cutting it against the grain. See the illustration in the post above. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and horseradish sauce. Serve the meat and vegetables. Enjoy!
* homemade seasoning recipe is in the above post
**leave some of the core on each piece to keep pieces intact while cooking
*** in a jar in the refrigerated section
Supplies needed: Pressure cooker, trivet, tongs
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Irish America
Keywords: St. Patrick's Day Meal, March 17th Dinner,