This refreshing Crisp Apple Salad with Lemon Yogurt is a staple in our house— crunchy, bright, sweet, tart, and colorful. It enhances any pork dish or grilled meat, and ingredients are generally available in the kitchen. Bonus – you can add any leftovers to your oatmeal the next day.
Why I Love This Recipe
- Can make several hours ahead and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve
- Ingredients are usually on hand
- Fast, easy, tasty, and kid-friendly
- Use leftovers in oatmeal the next day
- Good source of fiber, Vitamin C and E, and Riboflavin
Simple ingredients make this refreshing salad.
Toast slivered almonds in a non-stick pan or cast-iron skillet.
Choose medium-size apples that fit inside the apple corer/slicer.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Apples – look for apples in the small-medium size because they cut easier in the corer slicer. Gala apples are a winner because they don’t brown as fast as other apples or Honeycrisp because of their sweet and tart flavor. Small Granny Smith apples are also a good option because of their green color. Read Whole Foods Apple guide for purchasing and ingredient tips.
Yogurt – unsweetened, plain from cow or plant works best in this recipe. The yogurt can be homemade, Greek, or standard, and any fat content you prefer. I like full fat (made from whole milk) because it is processed less than skim or fat-free varieties.
Fresh lemon is the best since you can zest the peel and benefit from the flavor boost; however, bottled lemon juice is a substitute.
Dried Fruit – use brown or golden raisins, dried cranberries, or dried cherries.
Celery adds a nice crunch.
Spice – Cinnamon is great with apples, and add a little pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg if desired.
Nuts – chopped walnuts or pecans, or slivered almonds all taste great. If using slivered almonds, I advise toasting them to bring out the flavor.
Crisp Apple Salad with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 6 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 lemon, juiced-divided
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, cherries, or golden raisins
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt*
- 2–3 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, optional
- 4 Gala or Honeycrisp apples, medium size
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted walnuts, pecans, or slivered almonds
- Prep Ingredients. Zest the lemon. Cut the lemon in half and juice. Place half the lemon juice in a small bowl with dried fruit to plump them. Preheat dry nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat on the stovetop. Toast nuts in the pan until slightly browned and fragrant, about 3 – 5 minutes. Allow nuts to cool. Core and dice apples. Dice celery.
- Combine Yogurt Sauce. Stir yogurt, honey, remaining lemon juice, lemon zest, and spices in a serving bowl.
- Add Salad Ingredients. Add celery, apple pieces, and half the nuts to the yogurt sauce and mix until combined. Add dried fruit with lemon juice.
- Garnish. Top salad with reserved nuts and a few dashes of cinnamon sprinkled on top. Serve cold.
*The plain, unsweetened yogurt can be cow or plant-based. You can use homemade, Greek, or standard, with the fat content you prefer. I like yogurt made from whole milk because it is generally processed less than skim or fat-free varieties. Mediterranean diet – use whole milk yogurt; SCD – use homemade yogurt.
- Prep Time: 20
- Category: Salad
- Method: chopping
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Rosh Hashanah Recipe
2 responses to “Crisp Apple Salad with Lemon Yogurt Sauce”
I have been making Karen’s apple salad for years. Everyone always loves it. It is so easy and I usually have the ingredients on hand. It packs a lot of different flavors and textures. Love the crispness!
awe, thank you. I am honored to offer a recipe that your family loves!