Something magical happens when Brussels sprouts are thinly sliced and roasted on a sheet pan. They transform into extra crispy roasted Brussels sprouts with a rich caramelized flavor that goes perfectly with a splash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. This recipe is a delicious, fast, and simple side dish that will get many requests.
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, thinly shaved – see illustrations in post
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil for pan
- 2Tablespoon olive oil for Brussels sprouts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 4 whole garlic cloves – do not peel
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preparation – Preheat oven to 400º. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon olive oil on a large sheet pan (18 x 13 x 2) and spread with a pastry brush. Or paper towel to coat the entire surface of the pan.
- Mix shaved Brussels sprouts on the oiled pan with salt, pepper, garlic cloves, and 2 Tablespoon of olive oil with hands until coated with oil, and spread the vegetables in a thin and even layer.
- Cook Brussels sprouts in preheated oven for 20 – 30 minutes and redistribute pieces every 10 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, they will be moist in the middle and brown on the edges. Place back in the oven for the second time and check for browning in 10 minutes. Redistribute the pieces for a second time and evaluate for doneness or when half the Brussels sprouts are crispy brown. Depending on the oven, you may need an additional 5 – 10 minutes depending on how crisp you want the veggies.
- Serve in a bowl and toss with lemon juice and cheese. My family eats the roasted garlic by pinching the clove out of the skin. You can also mash the roasted garlic and add it to the lemon before stirring it into the vegetables.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Salads
- Method: Oven Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Roasted Vegetable, Christmas dinner side dish, holiday vegetables, Thanksgiving side dish