Delicious steamed new potatoes tossed with crisp herb vinaigrette for a simple make-ahead French warm potato salad. It tastes great warm or room temperature and contains no mayonnaise. This gluten-free, vegan recipe is perfect for picnics, potlucks, and barbecues, and the recipe inspiration comes from Patricia Wells Bistro Cooking.
- 1–1/2 pounds of small new red potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated pepper
- water for steaming potatoes: 1 cup for Instant pot, and 2 – 4 cups for stovetop
- 1 teaspoon salt for simmering water
- 2 shallots, minced about 1/3 cup
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley or curly parsley
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces. A ping-pong size potato should be quartered, and smaller potatoes can be halved. Larger potatoes should be cut so that all prices are somewhat uniform. See directions below for steaming potatoes in Instant Pot (pressure cooker) or stovetop.
- A. Instant Pot – add 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of salt into the pressure cooker pan. Place trivet on top of the water and add potatoes. Lock the pressure cooker lid and ensure the valve is set to pressure. Select high pressure for 4 minutes. It will take about 9 minutes for the pressure to get high then the 4-minute timer will begin. When the timer goes off, turn off the cooker and release the pressure immediately. Carefully remove the lid, allowing the steam to escape away from you. Carefully place the potatoes into the serving bowl.
- B. Stovetop – add 2 – 4 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt into a skillet with a lid. The depth of the water should fill just below the basket. Place steamer basket into the pan and top with potatoes pieces and cover. Bring water to a simmer and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Combine dressing while potatoes are cooking; combine 1/3 cup olive oil, apple cider vinegar, wine or balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over cooked potatoes and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Swirl a few times to integrate the potatoes on the top with the vinegarette.
- Chop parsley, chives, and shallots and add to a small bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and blend.
- Add the herb mixture to potatoes and gently combine just before serving.
This recipe can sit on the counter for two hours. If making ahead more than two hours, store in the refrigerator and place on the counter 30 – 60 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Marinate: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: vegan, summer salad, Oktoberfest side dish