Leftovers can get a bad rap, but it converts to a win when used in an entirely new recipe, and everyone is happy. Try making grilled turkey Reuben sandwiches using leftover turkey breast. Melted cheese, crisp grilled bread, tangy sauerkraut, and a few pieces of leftover roast turkey!
- 4 pieces of rye or pumpernickel bread
- 1 Tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 4 pieces of swiss cheese, cut to fit bread slices
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 6 turkey breast slices
- 2 Tablespoons Thousand Island dressing*
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet or nonstick skillet on the stovetop for a few minutes.
- Warm the sauerkraut and turkey slices: place kraut in the microwave or a saucepan for a few minutes to warm. Heat both sides of the turkey slices in the skillet to warm through; set aside.
- Assemble Sandwich: Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. Place two pieces of bread butter side down on the skillet. Top with one piece of cheese on each bread slice. Split the warm sauerkraut between the two sandwich halves. Add turkey and spread the thousand Island on the turkey. Top with the second piece of cheese and bread (butter side up). When the bottom bread is browned, flip the sandwich and grill the other side until brown and toasted.
- Cut the sandwich in half and enjoy.
* mayonnaise or mustard can be substituted for Thousand Island dressing
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: sandwich
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Thansgiving leftovers, leftover roasted turkey breast