This Harvest Casserole 20 Minute Dinner only has 5 ingredients. It contains chunky baked apples, cinnamon, spicy sausage, and a hearty wild rice blend for a delicious sweet, spicy, and savory combination.
- 1–1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup wild rice mix*
- 1 lb. spicy ground sausage, pork or plant-based**
- 12–oz frozen Stouffer’s Classic Harvest Apples***
- Prepare Rice: Place water and cinnamon in a medium-size saucepan and whisk to combine. Bring water to a simmer and add rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Brown Sausage: Remove sausage from package or casing and place it into a large skillet over medium heat. Break up with a fork or meat chopper and cook until browned – about 7 minutes. Drain off the fat.
- Microwave Apples: Open the frozen apple package and place it in a microwave-safe dish large enough to serve the entree. Cook on high for 6 – 7 minutes.
- Combine Ingredients: add rice and meat into the apple serving dish and stir to combine. Serve.
* brown, white & wild rice mix; I use Select Royal Blend
** I use Bob Evans Hot & Zesty or Impossible Sausage, Savory or Hot 14-oz tube
*** canned pie filling can also be used or see copycat recipe in the post.
Nutritional information includes pork sausage.
Serve with a salad kit that your family enjoys. Josie’s Organic Sweet Kale Chopped Salad Kit is in the photo above.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pork
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Classic
Keywords: easy back to school meal, wild rice