How to make your meatloaf irresistible and unforgettable? Add Sauerkraut. And cooking meatloaf in a cast-iron skillet makes this time-honored dish even more retro! Update this classic comfort food with the nutritious advantage of probiotics and improve your gut health.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, somewhat drained
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup*
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard*
- 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons uncooked quinoa or almond flour or 1 slice of rye bread, toasted, cut into small cubes**
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef, ground turkey or ground lamb
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (half used in sauce and another half to serve as a garnish)*
- 1 Tablespoon red curry paste, chili paste, or sambal oelek, optional*
- Preheat the oven to 375°F with a rack in the middle position.
- Make Meatloaf – Combine the following in a large bowl – beaten egg, minced garlic, chopped onion, sauerkraut, grated carrot, ketchup, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix ingredients. Add meat and quinoa (or toasted bread) and combine all ingredients. Using hands works best.
- Single Recipe: Shape the meat mixture into an 8 ½” X 4 ½” loaf pan or similar size pan and press down to smooth with a spatula or the back of a wooden spoon. Double Recipe: A 10” cast-iron skillet works well or press the mixture into two loaf pans. You may need to form the meat mixture toward the middle of the pan if there is not enough to fill the pan. See Illustration in post. Triple Recipe: eating one and freezing the other, press into two loaf pans 8 ½” X 4 ½”. It’s three times the recipe, but each loaf uses 1.5 pounds of meat in two pans.
- Make Sauce – Combine sauce items in a bowl and spread sauce over the meat.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. The meat thermometer should read 165º. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with the remaining BBQ sauce.
* GF, Paleo, SCD – use compliant condiments – ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, chili paste
**For GF use quinoa or almond four, Paleo use quinoa, SCD use almond flour.
Note: The calorie and nutrition panel is based on grass-fed ground beef 90% lean
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 60
- Category: Beef
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sauerkraut meatloaf, German meatloaf, cast-iron skillet meatloaf, sauerkraut, quinoa, New Year Day Recipe