Freshly shaved Brussels sprouts with apples, dried cherries, feta, and walnuts tossed with a honey mustard dressing make this healthy and delicious salad. This recipe is inspired by a main course salad from the Defined Dish Healthy and Wholesome Weeknight Recipes cookbook. I like it as an easy, make-ahead side dish that tastes better as it sits – even the next day!
- 16–oz raw Brussels sprouts – 6 cups shaved (see illustrations in the post)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut in wedges and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4–oz feta cheese, crumbled*
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon juiced, 2 tablespoons
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- Prepare Brussels sprouts – Rinse Brussels sprouts and apples in a colander and pat with a towel to dry. Shave Brussels sprouts in a food processor with a slicing blade at position 3 or use a mandoline or slicing side of a box grater. Place vegetables in a serving bowl.
- Cut and core apples into wedges with a corer/slicer. Slice the wedges thinner with a mandoline or knife. Cut apples into bite-size pieces, leaving 15 or so in slices for garnish. Place the bite-size pieces in the bowl with Brussels sprouts.
- Add cherries, nuts, and crumbled feta cheese to the salad bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to mix. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to coat evenly. Top with remaining apple slices as a garnish.
- Marinate the salad in the refrigerator for 4 – 6 hours. If in a hurry, allow the salad to sit on the counter for 15 minutes to blend flavors.
Purchase a block of feta and crumble just before use for the best flavor.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Salads
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Shredded Brussel Sprout Salad, Make-Ahead Salad, Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad