Bring the Taste of New Orleans
New Orleans is a great place to enjoy the culture and fare. You can celebrate the city’s unique flavors at your dinner table with this recipe. This veggie-forward version of a classic Big Easy dish – Paleo Creole Ragu with Shrimp and Sausage- has a new twist: serving it over spaghetti squash rather than rice.
More Reasons to Love Paleo Creole Ragu
Notes on Ingredients and Variations
- Pescatarian or Lenten Meal – omit the sausage
- Make it a budget meal – reduce the shrimp and add a can of red beans
- Nitrate-free and low-sodium turkey sausage is a great choice
- Green Pepper – replace with any preferred color – red, orange, yellow
- Creole seasoning – look for low salt or no salt added seasoning mix
- Frozen or fresh shrimp can be used. Frozen raw (uncooked) shrimp is a great option. Look for wild-caught American shrimp. It will come from the coastal regions: NC, SC, GA, FL, and LA. If you cannot find an affordable price for wild-caught American shrimp, look for sustainable farm-raised.
- Spaghetti squash is such a flavorful and fun vegetable. I seek out recipes and grow them in my garden. Kids love to help scrape the strands but ensure they are cool enough to handle.
This simple recipe does not require much equipment, but it needs a Dutch oven or stockpot and a sharp and sturdy chef knife to cut the spaghetti squash.