Savory Noodle Kugel Style Pasta – think Alfredo, only better. This creamy sauce results from a mixture of garlic-infused brown butter, cottage cheese, and Parmesan cheese, with a perfect amount of fresh spinach. The best part – the recipe is protein and veggie-packed. You will make this delicious kugel pasta over and over.
- 16-oz package egg noodles (wide or narrow) or rotini (traditional or gluten-free)*
- 4 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cottage cheese, 2%**
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 5-oz package fresh baby spinach or 10-oz frozen. See notes***
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Make noodles or pasta according to package directions and drain.
- Make cheese sauce – while pasta cooks, combine cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese in a large serving bowl and allow to sit.
- Make garlic brown butter – In a medium stainless steel skillet or saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and stir until butter melts. Note: Pan must be large enough to hold spinach in step 4. Swirl the pan a few times and cook until butter foams. Add minced garlic and continue cooking. The color of the butter will change from yellow to tan and then to brown. Remove from heat once it reaches brown. Garlic bits will become slightly toasted.
- Add spinach to brown butter – combine fresh or previously frozen spinach that has been heated into the brown butter saucepan and cover the saucepan to wilt for 1 – 2 minutes over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon of water if needed and cook until water has evaporated.
- Combine butter and spinach into a serving bowl with cheese.
- Add drained pasta into the serving bowl with cheese and spinach and combine. Serve. This dish is excellent served hot or at room temperature.
* Tri-colored rotini also works.
** Cottage cheese – I use 2% milkfat but nonfat or 4% can be used. The nutritional values are based on 2%.
*** May use 10-oz frozen spinach; follow package directions to cook and add to the dish as you would fresh spinach.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Jewish and Italian
Keywords: Pork side dish; Jewish style noodle kugel side dish; Rosh Hashanah Recipe