A flavorful Strawberry Arugula Salad with sugar-free balsamic vinaigrette, honey glazed pecans, and gorgonzola. This colorful strawberry spinach salad recipe is an easy dinner side that goes with everything.
- 3/4 cup halved pecans
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 5 ounce container of arugula or a 50/50 blend of arugula and spinach
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries tops removed and sliced or quartered
- 2 ounces gorgonzola or blue cheese, crumbled*
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced – about 1/2 onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar**
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar-free strawberry jam or 1 teaspoon raw honey ***
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Toast Pecans. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add pecan halves. Drizzle honey over pecans and stir to coat. Toast the pecans for a few minutes. Place on wax paper to cool. Try not to eat them all while making the salad. Break into smaller pieces.
- Combine Salad. In a large salad bowl, combine greens, strawberries, cheese, red onion, and cranberries.
- Make Dressing. Add all dressing ingredients except olive oil in a small bowl or shaker cruet. Shake to combine. Slowly add olive oil.
- Serve. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and gently mix. Serve immediately.
* Omit if paleo; I prefer the milder gorgonzola. For the best taste, do NOT get the pre-crumbled package. Buy it in a small block and crumble it just before serving.
** Balsamic vinegar substitute: SCD – many balsamic vinegar bottles have added sugar; substitute with red vinegar or make your own legal homemade balsamic vinegar substitute through SCDRecipe
*** Use jam or fruit preserves with no added sugar and sweetened with fruit juice.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Salads
- Method: Stovetop (nuts only)
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Colorful summer salad, festive salad