The perfectly baked sweet potato requires nothing other than an appetite. They are so sweet and velvety that no butter, brown sugar, or syrup is needed. Sweet potatoes are a nutritious, versatile, and colorful side dish. Bake twice what you need because leftovers are great for lunches and snacks.
- 4 sweet potatoes relatively the same size
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Prepare Sweet Potatoes: Rub a small amount of olive oil on the skin of the potatoes.
- Prepare Oven: Place a wire cooling rack on a sheet pan and place potatoes on top. This allows for uniform cooking all around; if you do not have a cooling rack, place potatoes directly on a cooking rack in the oven and place aluminum foil on the rack below to catch the syrup that will leak out while cooking. I do not prick the potatoes.
- Bake Sweet Potatoes: Place the potatoes in the oven and set the temperature to 400º (375º for a convection oven) and cook for 45 – 60 minutes, depending on the size. Do not preheat the oven. Rotate after 30 minutes. Check for doneness after 40 minutes by giving them a pinch. They will be soft, and the flesh pulls away from the skin when done.
- Look for sweet potatoes that are uniform in size when shopping. Try to get ones that are round or oval and relatively symmetrical. Potatoes with one thin side will cook inconsistently.
- Warm any leftovers in the microwave with the skin on. Drizzle with Sriracha Sauce and tahini (sesame butter).
- Prep Time: 1
- Cook Time: 50
- Category: Potatoes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sugar free sweet potato, baked sweet potato, naked sweet potato, Thanksgiving recipe