Cooking with Bone-In Meat Provides Health Benefits
Using bone-in chicken makes this Italian recipe more flavorful and offers nutritional benefits. Bones provide vitamin A, minerals, and collagen. For more nutritional benefits, check out Stephanie Kay’s Nutrition post on Why you Should Eat Bone-In Meat. If eating meat off the bone is not your thing, remove it before serving, and the nutritional benefits will remain in the delicious sauce.
Tuscan Chicken: Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, or Stovetop
Make Tuscan Chicken a Mediterranean One-Pot Meal
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Cannellini Beans keep the recipe true to Italian cuisine, or Navy or great northern beans make great substitutes.
- Cannot find pancetta? No worries, bacon will do the trick.
- Forgot to pick up fresh rosemary, use dried but don’t forget it the next time you make it. Fresh rosemary is a game changer for flavor. Grow it in your garden to keep it readily available.
- Chicken: use bone-in thighs, legs (drumsticks), or breasts. Boneless chicken is an option – You may need more oil when browning the meat, and the cooking time will be less. See recipe notes.
- Are you cutting fat? Remove the skin after searing the meat in step 3. However, I don’t advise removing the skin before browning because it provides excellent fond (caramelized bits left in the bottom of the pan) for the rich and flavorful gravy.
- Kale comes in various forms, and any are great ingredients: baby kale, curly kale, pre-cut bagged. Not a fan of kale? – substitute with spinach.
Curly kale in loose leaves
Precut and bagged kale
Why Tuscan Chicken with White Beans and Kale is a Winning Recipe
• Hearty One pot meal
• Loaded with collagen, fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
• Mediterranean diet recipe from poultry, greens (kale), and beans
• Variety of cooking methods – Instant Pot, Crockpot, or stovetop
• Uses bone-in chicken thighs or breasts for collagen, minerals, and extra-rich gravy
Try this Recipe and Give it a Rating
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and share your thoughts in the comments below! Supper Sanity is a simple system that offers shortcuts in the kitchen for meal planning, grocery shopping, and recipe organization. Simplify daily decisions so you can tackle other interests.
Get alerted to all the shortcuts, recipes, and tips by signing up for the newsletter.